There were 19 independent school districts in 1884 in Young County, and by 1916 there were 60 separate districts. According to Carrie Crouch, students didn't consolidate with the county's three largest schools - Newcastle, Olney and Graham - until 1949. As populations dwindled in the smaller communities, schools consolidated because of teacher shortages, cost efficiency and the chance for better educations. Today, small communities in the northeast side of the county, such as Red Top and Jean, remain, but the schools are used for community centers. Dirt roads like Monument Road off Highway 16 North are named for the Monument School that once existed, but these are the exceptions. There's limited information about the forgotten names of schools used on dirt roads across the county. Except for a Young County historian or having relatives who attended these long abandoned school houses, the names Colston, Hawkins Chapel or Lacy do not recall any memories. Colston School was in the northeast part of Young County west of Highway 116 off the unpaved part of Farmer Road. The school lasted from 1907 until 1935. Glynn Loftin was one of the students who attended this school before it was closed and consolidated with Loving in 1935. A side note is that Bill Hardy, who served as principal for both Loving and Colston schools, later ran for Young County School Superintendent and won. Hardy got the job in 1942, but he resigned in 1943 for military service in World War II. His wife, Hazel, was appointed to fill the vacancy until he returned in 1945. George Corse ran for the superintendant's position which he felt was no longer needed because schools were consolidating. His political agenda was to abolish this position if elected. Corse did what he promised and, doing away with the county superintendant position, saved Young County taxpayers a significant amount of money. In 1876, S.J. Hawkins was the first settler to arrive in an area north of Loving called Bull Valley. Others in the Hawkins clan later settled in the area. In fact, the total membership at Hawkins Chapel Methodist Church, originally a one-room log cabin, contained more than 50 percent Hawkins relatives. R.M. (Uncle Dick) Richardson donated four acres of land to serve as a combination school and church in 1882. Both consolidated with the Loving school and Loving Methodist Church. Members of the large Hawkins family still gather for a get-together and decoration day at Hawkins Chapel Cemetery. Another forgotten community called Lacy lay two miles north of Loving on the east side of Highway 116. Rev. Lacy Midyett, a Methodist missionary, was the first preacher and owned a large cattle ranch in the area. The small community had a post office and large general store also owned by the Midyetts and W.F. McMillian. The community built Lacy School in 1895 and operated it until 1902. Monument School, located five miles southwest of Loving, was opened in 1916. The community named the school in honor of the men killed by an Indian attack in the Warren Wagon Train Massacre in 1871. Students switched to Graham schools and the land was later purchased by Jesse Oatman, who tore the building down and built a house there. These schools were only a few of the Young County country schools which served children from the frontier era to what Tom Brokaw refers to as the days of the "Greatest Generation."