Residents and visitors can watch the only U.S. stop on the 2014 Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series Saturday, June 7, inside Hell’s Gate cove at Possum Kingdom Lake.
PK Lake Manager Mike Iltis said that this event has been in the works since 2013.
“It’s been in the planning phases for over a year,” Iltis said. “This is the biggest thing along this scope of activity that we’ve seen.”
Iltis added that the next largest event in recent memory for the area has been the Trifecta Triathlon that has been hosted at Possum Kingdom Lake since 2012.
Gayla Chambers, PK Chamber of Commerce executive director, said that even though the event can only be viewed from the water, it’s still a boon to the local economy.
“It’s a boost certainly, given the fact that our lake levels are low,” Chambers said. “And the facts need to be stressed that this event can only be seen from the water, so that may have some impact (on attendance), but we want anybody who has boats to get out there and see it. I want to stress that there is no stadium seating or anything like that.”
While Chambers is unsure what impact the unusual spectator situation will have on the overall turnout, she said the local economy has also benefitted from the fact the crews from Red Bull and other companies have been in and out of Possum Kingdom for the past six months.
The June 7 schedule includes:
• Noon: Show opens.
• 12:15-1 p.m.: Performance by Billy the Kidd from 106.1 Kiss FM.
• 1-1:45 p.m.: Competition preview.
• 1:45-2 p.m.: Warm-up dives, women.
• 2:25-2:30 p.m.: Introductions, women competitors.
• 2:30-2:50 p.m.: Women’s final round.
• 3-3:20 p.m.: Warm-up Dives, men.
• 3:30-3:40 p.m.: Introductions, men competitors
• 3:40-4:10 p.m.: Round two, head to head, men.
• 4:10-4:45 p.m.: Round three, head to head, men.
• 4:45-5:10 p.m.: Final, top eight, men.
• 5:10-5:20 p.m.: Awards ceremony, women and men.
The only way to view the contest will be from the water inside Hell’s Gate. There will be specific areas for boats. BRA lake rangers will be at the location to help boaters find a place. In addition, organizers and BRA remind those attending to:
• Follow all posted signage and maps.
• Be courteous and respect all working personal on site.
• Do not play music while competition diving is taking place.
• Devils Island is closed to the public, treat it as private property, trespassers will be prosecuted.
• Observe all closed event areas.
• Anchor boats in appropriate zones for boat size.
The neighborhoods surrounding Hell’s Gate Cove (Gaines Bend and Sportsman’s World) are private property. Do not disembark at any time inside Hell’s Gat. All land is private property, trespassers will be prosecuted.
For those who miss the event, it will be broadcast at 7:30 p.m. Monday, July 14, on Fox Sports 1.