Graford volunteer firefighter Quinton Reed, left, watches as Ray Rollins, also of the Graford department, sprays water on smouldering insulation at a home
Graford volunteer firefighter Quinton Reed, left, watches as Ray Rollins, also of the Graford department, sprays water on smouldering insulation at a home in Oran last week. Holding the light is Possum Kingdom East volunteer firefighter Justin Robison. (Mark Engebretson)
The Graford Volunteer Fire Department responded to a Thursday night report of a house fire in the 1700 block of Main Street in Oran. Graford requested additional support from Possum Kingdom East and Mineral Wells VFDs. According to County Fire Marshal Buddy Harwell, the fire was contained to the attic above the front room of the frame house and was likely an electrical problem that caused it. He explained that there were no reports of open flames, but the house did receive smoke and water damage. The roof was not damaged, but the ceiling was taken down by firefighters. "It appeared that the blown insulation above and sheet rock attached to the underside of the wooden ceiling kept the fire from fully involving the structure," he said. "It acted as insulation." The house did sustain water and some smoke damage, he said.