This home in the 1000 block of Oak Street in Palo Pinto was destroyed by fire Monday morning. Volunteer fire departments from Lone Camp, Mineral Wells,
This home in the 1000 block of Oak Street in Palo Pinto was destroyed by fire Monday morning. Volunteer fire departments from Lone Camp, Mineral Wells, Brazos and Palo Pinto responded to the call made around 10 a.m. County Fire Marshal Buddy Harwell said the cause appeared to be an electrical outlet on the front porch that had an indoor/outdoor extension cord plugged into it. No injuries were reported. (Mark Engebretson)
County volunteer fire departments were busy this week with three structure fires.
The largest was Wednesday, when the Kennedy Sausage plant, located at FM 2201 and Highway 281, caught fire.
“About 4:30 a.m., two employees at the plant reported there was a fire,” said County Fire Marshal Buddy Harwell.
Firefighters reported flames were coming out the west side of the building when they arrived.
Santo, Possum Kingdom East, Lone Camp, Strawn, Gordon, Lipan, Mineral Wells, Tolar, Brock, Erath County, Jacksboro and Morgan Mill VFDs responded.
“By 9 a.m. the fire departments were working on hot spots and cleanup,” noted Cyndi Smith, Santo VFD assistant PIO. “The building was approximately a 50 percent loss and was contained to the packing, storage and meat market areas.”
The cause of the fire was yet to be determined.
Tuesday afternoon, Palo Pinto and Lone Camp VFDs responded to a mobile home fire in the 400 block of Elm Street in Palo Pinto.
“The property owner was burning trash between two mobile homes and one trailer caught fire,” Harwell said. “The radiant heat ignited the other.”
However, the second mobile home was only the frame and plywood and had been scrapped. The larger mobile home was scheduled to be scrapped. Neither was occupied.
Monday, a home in the 1000 block of Oak Street in Palo Pinto was destroyed by fire. Volunteer fire departments from Lone Camp, Mineral Wells, Brazos and Palo Pinto responded to the call made around 10 a.m.
Harwell said the cause appeared to be an electrical outlet on the front porch that had an indoor/outdoor extension cord plugged into it.
The lone occupant was able to escape unharmed and no injuries were reported.

Palo Pinto and Lone Camp VFDs responded to a mobile home fire in the 400 block of Elm Street in Palo Pinto which started when the property owner was
Palo Pinto and Lone Camp VFDs responded to a mobile home fire in the 400 block of Elm Street in Palo Pinto which started when the property owner was burning trash between two mobile homes and one trailer caught fire. Both were unoccupied and one had been scrapped, the other scheduled to be. (Mark Engebretson)